This recipe is from Kalima. She brings us lemons and oranges from her garden and insists that we make pickle. Since we don’t know how to, she decided to help us with it.
(for 500gms of pickle)
- 8 oranges
3 tablespoons of chilli powder
- 3 to 5 tablespoons salt (to taste)
- 2 tablespoons of fenugreek seeds
- 2 tablespoons mustard seeds
- 100ml cooking oil
Mustard seeds / Fenugreek seeds
- Put 5 full oranges in boiling water. Let the water boil with the oranges for a while. When the sweet smelling orangy steam fills your kitchen, you can turn off the flame.
- Remove the water and let the oranges cool.
- Cut the oranges in dices (in 1/8ths).
- Add 3 tablespoons of salt to these orange dices, and keep them in a covered container for two days.
After 2 days:
- Take 1 ½ tablespoons of fenugreek seeds and 1 ½ tablespoon of mustard seeds and toast them well. This will make grinding them easy. Keep the ground mustard and fenugreek on one side.
- Pour 100ml of cooking oil in a pan on the stove/fire.
- Once the pan is hot, add ½ tablespoon of mustard seeds and ½ tablespoon of fenugreek seeds.
- Add slowly the diced oranges and fry for 10 minutes
- Add juice of 3 oranges while you keep mixing slowly
- Add 3 tablespoon of chilli powder and mix.
- Add the ground fenugreek and mustard to the mix.
- Keep mixing for 10 more minutes on low flame.
- Turn off the flame and let the mix cool down.
- Store in a jar.
- The pickle is ready to eat. You can leave it for 3-4 weeks to get rid of the bitterness.