The ginger, garlic chilli extract can be used on fruit trees to control/remove sucking pests and defoliators.
At Sun Farm, we have some fruit trees with black fungal growth. This fungus grows on the sweet secretions from the aphides. However, we observed some fungal growth even before the aphides appear. To control these aphides, we applied this extract.
Aphides on pear trees
This recipe is adapted from Annadana Seed Bank at Botanical Gardens in Auroville.
- Crush/grind 25 grams of ginger, 25 grams of green chillies and 50 grams of garlic.
- Put the crushed ingredients in a cotton cloth and soak the cloth in 500 ml of warm water.
- Leave the cloth in the water for about 30 minutes.
- Squeeze the cloth to get the remaining extract from the crushed ingredients in the same container.
- This extract can be mixed with 5 litres of water and 100 ml of soap solution.
The soap solution is added to increase the surface tension of the mix. After adding soap solution, the mix will stick to the tree much better.
- Use a brush/stick to paint the affected areas.